NEW STUDENTS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN ANY TIME FROM OCTOBER – FEBRUARY!
- Held on Saturdays from 11:30am-2pm, starting October 2nd, 2021
- IN PERSON at Irondale – 85 South Oxford Street
- NO COST TO PARTICIPATE!
Young Company’s 2021-2022 Season starts in October with work on the ultimate challenge for the actor/improviser is a long-form style of improvisation that can simulate a one act play, developed from a single prompt, without preplanning. It is THE HAROLD.
We will cover:
- Improv Essentials: Who, What, Where, Saying Yes (agreement)
- Space: Making the invisible visible
- The Group Mind: How trust in your fellow player(s) can produce something greater than the imagination of any single player. At the same time everyone’s ideas are incorporated, built upon and celebrated
- How to Construct a Scene: Writing on Your Feet
Students will also be learning the art of Soundpainting, bringing in personal texts, and devising work as an ensemble.
Young Company is open to students in grades 9-12. There is no cost to participate!
About Young Company
Entering its 13th season, The Young Company uses the same ensemble training techniques that created the Irondale Ensemble Project. Just as the professional company grew out of the interests and talents of the original members, the Young Company develops work in the same way. Young Company members will create and perform two productions over the course of the school year, travel to see other professional shows, and intern with a professional theatre company.
Young Company members gain hands-on experience and learn what it takes to run a professional theatre by ushering visiting and in-house productions, assisting in youth classes, distributing marketing materials, stuffing programs, and working alongside Irondale’s professional Ensemble on our Equity productions. We are truly grateful for their commitment and are proud to call each and every young person an Irondale family member. The Young Company is generously supported by New York State Council on the Arts, Sonia Staff Foundation, Department of Cultural Affairs, City of New York, and our generous individual donors, providing NYC teens complimentary tuition.
Young Company runs October – June, there is no cost to participate!
This program is generously supported by the Pierre and Tana Matisse Foundation
I could never find a place like Irondale … it’s about knowing who you are and expressing yourself without being judged… Irondale is life!
Irondale recognizes the continued commitment and contribution of outstanding Young Company members with a $1,000 scholarship upon their graduation from High School, to be used toward any aspect of their higher education.
- 2021 – Nyles Emile, Marcus Lassiter, Ruby Papavassiliu & Star Torbert
- 2019 – Christina Ramsey
- 2017 – David Rosa & Julia Smith
- 2015 – Danajha Davis & Dre Knight
- 2014 – Aaliyah Stewart & Joel Seabrook
- 2013 – Richard Perez
- 2012 – Xerxses Morris
- 2011 – Alex Miyashiro