On Women Festival 2021
During the month of March, when women are celebrated and honored all around the world, Irondale hosts the On Women Festival, giving female-identifying artists the platform to celebrate their own experiences. Created in 2018, each iteration of this festival has been different and unique, just like the creators and the shows that are part of it.
The safety of artists and staff is our first priority, so the 2021 edition will be exclusively online, with live and pre-recorded videos. And to make sure we’re uplifting and empowering the voices of marginalized artists, Irondale worked closely with a diverse group of artists to help curate the festival and moderate the Artists Exchange panel discussions.
- MAINSTAGE: Two different theatrical productions were selected with the assistance of guest curators. The plays will be performed and recorded at The Space at Irondale and streamed online at specific dates and times. Some performances will be followed by live virtual talkbacks with the creative team of each production.
- NEW MEDIA STORYTELLING: Throughout the festival, you will have an opportunity to stream a robust collection of New Media Storytelling submitted by artists from all over the world. Hosted on an online platform and not part of the Festival’s curated programming, the submitted works represent a wide variety of styles, genres, and approaches to storytelling. Audience members will be invited to vote on their favorites and the winners will be awarded monetary prizes (1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for Popular Vote), and one artist will also win a Curator’s Pick Award. See the lineup here.
- ART BUFFET: Two nights of cabaret-style live online performances that are flexible in style and genre such as, but not limited to, improv, music, performance, scripted monologue. All content is original, and performances will be solo or with two people. This category is an opportunity for artists to try out new materials or sections of their work. See the lineup here.
- ARTISTS EXCHANGE: Lead and moderated by our guest Curators, each one of the three conversations will have a theme or topic for discussion, and guest panelists. Audience members will be invited to participate by asking questions or sharing opinions. This will be a live online event, free of charge.
On March 22nd at 7:30 PM (EST), director Cindy Rosenthal invites the experimental ensemble, The Anthropologists, to talk about their collective of women creative artists and to discuss their through-lines as devisers/makers, how their multidisciplinary projects have evolved during the years, and explore how their mission/ challenges/visions have and continue to transform. Special guests: Company founder/artistic director Melissa Moschitto and company members Mariah Freda and Marissa Joyce Stamps. REGISTER HERE!
About the company: Founded in 2008, The Anthropologists is dedicated to the collaborative creation of investigative theatre that inspires action.
March 4-26 – New Media Storytelling (streamed anytime)
March 8 at 7:30 – Artist Exchange with Maya Carter
March 11-14 at 7:30 pm – Mainstage – if there is breakage you will find chips
March 15 at 7:30 – Artist Exchange with Sharifa Yasmin
March 20-21 at 7:30 – Art Buffet
March 22 at 7:30 – Artist Exchange with Cindy Rosenthal
March 25-28 at 7:30 pm – Mainstage – Walking With Bubbles
New Media Storytelling: $10 (get unlimited access until March 26th)
Art Buffet: $5
Mainstage bundle: $25 (if there is breakage you will find chips + Walking With Bubbles)
Festival Pass: $40 (2 Mainstage tickets, New Media Storytelling, and Art Buffet)
*Angel Pass: $60 (2 Mainstage tickets, New Media Storytelling, and Art Buffet + each Angel Pass supports a complimentary ticket for an artist who cannot afford one but would like to attend) – Irondale will not charge any convenience fee for this package.
Group tickets and financial assistance for those in need are available.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 03.25.21 – Times Square Chronicles – What to Watch in The New Year: March 25
- 03.16.21 – yahoo! news – On Women Festival 2021 Ready To Once Again Showcase Some Of The Best Talent Around
- 03.15.21 – CBS New York – Women’s History Month: On Women Festival Ready To Once Again Showcase Some Of The Best Talent Around
- 03.11.21 – Times Square Chronicles – What to Watch in The New Year – March 11
- 03.06.21 – BK Reader – Fort Greene Theater Spotlights Women in Month-Long Festival
- 03.01.21 – EDGE Media – Homing’s In Feb 26-March 5, 2021
- 02.21.21 – Bay Area Reporter – Homing’s In Feb 26-March 5, 2021
- 02.08.21 – Theater Pizzazz – Theater / Music / Talk
- 02.04.21 – Broadway World – Irondale Ensemble Project Announces Line Up of 2021 ON WOMEN FESTIVAL
- 11.24.2020 – Broadway World – Irondale Ensemble Project Seeks Submissions for 2021 On Women Theater Festival
- 03.02.20 – Gothamist – The Best Things To Do In NYC This Week
- 03.01.20 – New York Theater – March 2020 New York Theater Openings
- 02.10.20 – Broadway World – ON WOMEN FESTIVAL At Irondale Announced Today
- 04.18.19 – TimeOut – On Women | Irondale Center
- 04.11.19 – Playbill – Brooklyn’s Irondale to Welcome On Women Festival This Spring
- 03.26.19 – Broadway World – ON WOMEN Theater Festival Explores Power of Female Experience